Canadian Book Challenge


(cross-posted from Cat Musings)

In case you haven't been challenged enough lately, here's another to add to your compulsive need to push yourself to your limit:
The Canadian Book Challenge.

The rules are simple: read 13 Canadian books (books by Canadians and/or about Canadians) before next Canada Day (That's July 1st for you non-Canadians in the audience). Make sure to blog about each one!

I shouldn't take on anything else, really, but this doesn't have to be completed until Canada Day, so it gives me lots of time, even allowing for a 13-book challenge. It's going to be too difficult (well, expensive, I spend too much on Amazon Canada already) to manage a theme, as you can only get the "big" authors here in the UK, so I thought I would start with seven books between now and Christmas that were easy to come by:

Joan Clark, Latitudes of Melt
Mary Lawson, The Other Side of the Bridge
Marian Engel, Sarah Bastard's Notebook
Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake
Janice Kulyk Keefer, The Green Library
Douglas Coupland, The Gum Thief
Alice Munro, The View from Castle Rock

Then I'll move on to things that are more of a challenge to get in the New Year. As Ontario is rather over-represented here, I should be looking for books from the North-West Territories and Nunavut, I guess. Suggestions will be welcomed!

Comments

  1. Of those I placed in the Nunavut list, the Kenn Harper and Pierre Berton books are my favourites. But they're also non-fiction so I'm not sure if that's what you want. As for the Northwest Territories, I am SORELY lacking in that one myself. Did you see my meme- it's the one place I haven't read anything of. I'm looking forward to fixing that. With the exception of Alice Munro (I'm not a big fan) I really like your other choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of the Pierre Berton one: think I will try to find a copy.

    What don't you like about Alice Munro, as a matter of interest? Have you posted about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "The Green Library", it's one of my favourite books. And "Latitudes of Melt" is a good read, too. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Melanie - I've finished Latitudes of Melt now (very much enjoyed) and am gearing myself up to posting about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts