A picture for Sunday

Another teapot, as promised - this time, my own. It's a Booths Blue Dragon teapot, not very old, perhaps 1930s. I haven't used it, which is perhaps a bit sad, but I'm very clumsy these days and it would be so easy to chip it. I'm very fond of blue-and-white transferware and have added to the nice old willow patten that I inherited from my grandmother so that I have a special occasions dinner service; I've also got lots of "everyday" blue-and-white ironstone that survives my clunking it while washing up! I like the mix-and-match ability it offers, and I do think ironstone china is admirable stuff. It was the first mass-produced china, and it made it possible for the middle-classes to have attractive and affordable tableware. The pattern could be applied by transfer instead of hand-painting, and copies of Chinese designs were extremely popular, hence willow pattern in particular. Although blue-and-white is perhaps the most famous, green (that's a green-and-white meat dish in the background), pink, brown and yellow can also be found, as well as several-coloured. Booths is not one of the oldest potteries - nothing like the pedigree of Spode, say, but they produced a variety of handsome designs. I'll post some more next week.



Comments

  1. I love china - it ages so well if you can refrain from dropping it! A very distant direct ancestor ran a pottery in the late 18th and I hanker after a piece. I've held some as relatives have some but definitely would dare to use it!

    Have you been round the Wedgwood museum? Wonderful place. So glad it is saved.

    Thanks for showing your china and your lovely dragon. I hope the hands are on the mend. Husband and I both have hand problems and it is a blessed nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tea pot, Jodie. I'd love the green china, too! I'll have to see if there are any in some of the second-hand thrift shops here, sometimes we do get china from England here. I've collected a few pieces too over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where are you? I do miss your posts ...

    Anne in Cambridge (the U.K. one)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts