July books

I haven't done a monthly round-up since I can't remember when. Some of the month's books deserve more than just a couple of lines, but life is very busy at present (sigh), and this is better than nothing.

Old City Hall by Robert Rotenberg: I haven't quite finished this yet. It's a first detective novel set in Toronto and was written by a criminal lawyer, so not surprisingly, court scenes play a large part. The two policeman involved are interesting characters (one is an ex-lawyer) and I'd be surprised if the author hasn't brought them back in his next book; some of the other characters, too, I should think. Judge Summers is too good for just one book.*

Deep Secret** by Diana Wynne-Jones: I do so love a DWJ story! In this one, Rupert Venables is looking for a new recruit to the select team of Magids who oversee parallel universes. The last Earth Magid to die has left a list of possible successors (and has quite a lot to say on the subject in his disembodied form!) - there are five people on the list but Rupert immediately loathes the only one he can actually find. He's also having tremendous trouble with the Koryfos Empire, a troubled world that is falling apart. Rupert suspects that the Magids actually want it to crash and burn, but he's met some of the people involved and he can't quite bring himself to leave them to their fate.

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett: this was a re-read; I'd just finished I Shall Wear Midnight and wanted to go back to the first book in which the witches appeared. It was a slightly odd sensation, because Granny Weatherwax is such a hugely powerful character in the Tiffany Aching series, but in Equal Rites she seems rather homely, if exceedingly shrewd. Really, she grows in stature throughout the Discworld canon, which is as it should be, I suppose. Great fun, anyway, and will bring on a Discworld binge, I suspect.

 Persephone by L.M. Boston: this deserves much more than a couple of lines so I'll try to come back to it later. It's a book ripe for reissue, I think, a coming-of-age novel set just after the war. No one who knows Boston's Green Knowe books will be surprised by its passages of lyricism, nor that it also features her own house at Hemingford Grey.

A Price for Everything by Mary Sheepshanks: I found this after hearing the author on Desert Island Discs, where she talked briefly about her writing. Her books sounded as though they might be rather like Rosamund Fitzroy's Mallamshire series - lots of county folk struggling to make ends meet. My surmise was pretty accurate, and I enjoyed it, but I must admit that I remember almost nothing about it. Good summer reading and certainly nothing to complain about!

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett: I think I might like the Tiffany Aching books best of all the Discworld novels, thought the minute I say that I remember how much I like Sam Vimes and the Night Watch, or the Unseen Academy, or...well, if you're a Pratchett fan you'll have your own favourites, I expect! This one takes Tiffany to Ankh-Morpork, so we get some of the best of all worlds. Pratchett is at his absolute peak when he's talking about the power of stories, so we're in very safe hands. Not quite as sublime as Wintersmith, but pretty damn good.

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey: if you like Kate Griffin's Matthew Swift books, Amazon told me, you should like this. And I did. Magic in London, and the first in a series.

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss: what can I say about Patrick Rothfuss? When I started reading The Name of the Wind, which precedes this book, it seemed a little over-familiar. Another nascent wizard dragged out of the gutter and unwillingly accepted for training, I thought, bits of this quest and that epic put together with the names changed. By the time I was a third of the way through I was completely under his spell, and beginning to appreciate just how much he subverts the tired old epic fantasy series. Waiting for the next one is a nails-down-the-blackboard experience, and there's no sign of it yet. Please keep writing, Mr Rothfuss, no time wasted going to cons or making public appearances.

Untying the Knot by Linda Gillard - re-read: My interview with Linda on the re-issue of this book can be found here. If you read the interview when it first appeared, you'll know I admire her writing immensely. You should definitely add her to your to-be-read list.

* Now finished it, and yes, the same characters - or at least, some of them - do reappear in the next book.

** Corrected, I was determined to rename it when I posted; thanks , Librarian!

Comments

  1. Some of these definitely sound as if I'd enjoy them, too; so, thank you for talking about them here!
    I am a bit puzzled by the Diana-Wynne-Jones-book. Is it called "Deep Secret" (as it appears on the picture of the book cover) or "Deep Magic" (as it appears in your post's text)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for noticing that I have blank spot about that title! The cover is the right title, I'll correct my post.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I didn't realise I Shall Wear Midnight takes Tiffany to Ankh-Morpork, 'bout time I read it I think! I can never decide which of the Discworld books I like most either. Probably it's Sam Vimes but Tiffany is great too. I never cared much for the Rincewind books but those have grown on me recently. And I was thoroughly unprepared for how much I like Unseen Academicals.

    I really, really must get around to the Patrick Rothfuss books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by the Unseen Academicals too, great fun! Less keen on Rincewind, on the whole, but there's always something to enjoy in his books. You have a treat in store with Rothfuss.

      Delete
  3. I'm pleased you liked Deep Secret! It's one of the DWJ books that it took me years and many rereadings to start enjoying. Now of course it's one of my favorites. I adore all the scenes set at the sci-fi convention; and that scene where the android receptionist is trying to find rooms for Nick and Maree is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jenny. I've got The Merlin Conspiracy to read - I think that it is a sequel...?

      Delete
  4. I just picked up The Wise Man's Fear - finally out in paperback here! Can hardly wait to read it, and your review makes me want to get to it soon. I haven't read the DWJ either.....you sound like you had a good reading month, and that's what counts :-) love the mini-reviews, they do work, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A belated hello, Susan. Yes, mini reviews at least get something written! Shall do another for August...

      Delete
  5. The wonders of the blog world - used to read you, lost you, found you again via pinterest! What a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, lovely to see you here! I think we still sort of connect on FB but they insisted that Geranium Cat wasn't a real person (the cheek!) so I had to change - I use my maiden name, so I'm there as Joanna Roberts now :-(

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts