RIP III Challenge


Last year I discovered Carl's R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge too late to join it, but determined that I would do so this year. And here it is. It runs from 1 September to 31 October and all that is required is to read from the following categories:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.

As Autumn officially starts tomorrow, and it's practically dark outside at 4pm, I'm really in the mood for some suitably snuggle-up-with-something-nasty reading, and there was no difficulty in compiling a list from the TBR pile. I'm hoping to achieve Peril the First, which is to read four books from my list, but if I manage to read and blog about one, I shall be perfectly content. Here are the books I shall be choosing from:

Peter S. Beagle, Tamsin
Jim Butcher, Grave Peril (a nicely appropriate title!)
Garth Nix, The Fall
Robert Neill, Witchfire at Lammas
Alan Campbell, Scar Night
Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things (I would have loved to have chosen The Graveyard Book, but it's not published here until 31 October)

And I've just bought a reading copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales (though it's still too heavy to cart around), so I thought I'd dip into some of the less well-known of these.

I'm looking forward to reading posts by the other people in the challenge, and absolutely dreading the effect it's bound to have on my future book buying – after the Once Upon a Time Challenge my books-I-must-have list grew to alarming proportions.

Now to get reading. Pumpkin, anyone?

Comments

  1. Now that is a Garth Nix I don't know about. I'm off to Amazon to learn more straight away. Some of his work I love, some I think he misjudges. But when he is good he is very very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the beginning of a new series, I believe. You're absolutely right about his inconsistency, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Peter Beagle; Tamsin was good and so was A Fine and Private Place. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thrilled that you decided to join in again this year! Yay!!! Thank you so much. Love your pool of books. I'm going to be re-reading...rather re-listening...to some of the stories from Fragile Things during the challenge. There is nothing like hearing Neil read his stories to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted about Lye Street, the prequel to Scar Night published by Subterranean Press. After reading that I'm anxious to pick up a copy of Scar Night, in fact I may well go and order it now. *grin*

    Fragile Things is a great collection of stories, hope you enjoy them!

    Carl's challenges do tend to have horrendous effects on bank balances and shelf space...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, I think my favourite Beagle is The Last Unicorn, but I'm so looking forward to this one.

    Carl, it's great that you are including Fragile Things too.

    Quixotic, I've started Scar Night and it's intriguing. I didn't know there was a prequel, but there is so much background to absorb already that I'm not surprised. Shelf space? what shelf space?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you I didn't learn about the challenge until it was too late last year. So, I'm really excited about it this year. I haven't read any of these books. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have some pumpkin, please!! and yes, you have added Tamsin, so it will be fun if we both get it read for the Challenge! I see you have a later Jim Butcher than I do. I do like the series, there is just so much to read!! and I've already added 5 books this week to my list - everyone is raving about Cherie Priest and her books sound fabulous, ghosts and the gothic South in the US.......and I loved Fragile Things (sh, but I think it might be better than The King's Everything's Eventual, but I'm not done EE yet, so still open), really loved some of it. I still have to do my review, I have a stack to get done! Hope your rain has paused to let the sun out, we have more rain coming tonight and tomorrow, too. Good for reading weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, the problem I have with this challenge is knowing where to stop - so many books I want to read!

    Susan, I see you've got Peter Ackroyd on your list - I really like his writing. We have more good reading weather on the way, it's very appropriate for this challenge. I've just read Fool Moon, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts