Monthly round-up - April

  • Brotherly Love by Elizabeth Pewsey - re-read
  • A Blunt Instrument by Georgette Heyer
  • Unholy Harmonies by Elizabeth Pewsey - re-read
  • Divine Comedy by Elizabeth Pewsey - re-read
  • The Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester
  • Children of Chance by Elizabeth Pewsey - re-read
  • The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb
  • Lady Rose and Mrs Memmary by Ruby Ferguson
  • Requiem for a Mezzo by Carola Dunn
  • The Secret Ministry of Frost by Nick Lake
  • Be Your Own Landscape Detective by Richard Muir
  • Abarat by Clive Barker
  • The Cat Who Sang to the Birds by Lilian Jackson Braun
 There was lots of re-reading in April which, as in every other year, was demanding and exhausting - looking back, it seemed to go on for a long time, too! It wasn't the ideal time to develop a mild obsession with the visible signs of history in the landscape, so that the two books I borrowed from the library will go back unfinished - mind you, we have a copy of one of them - Oliver Rackham's History of the English Countryside - somewhere, if only I could find it! Most frustrating. The obsession is linked to my Rosemary Sutcliffe reading, which is progressing rather slowly at the moment, as I want to write proper posts about the books. However, it's now several weeks since I read Eagle of the Ninth - may have to go back and re-read in order to write about it!

I have to organise myself over more than just my private Sutcliffe challenge - there are posts to write for both the Once Upon a Time Challenge and the Canadian Book Challenge. And I'd thought about writing a post on Lady Rose and Mrs Memmary, but Nymeth has written about it much more sensitively than I would have done, so I can't do better than to point you to her ever-thoughtful blog.

Comments

  1. You might already know this, but Elizabeth Pewsey now writes under the name of Elizabeth Edmondson.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you not enjoy rereading? I always find it more relaxing, less demanding, than reading new books. Or nearly always, I suppose it depends at least partly on what I'm rereading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Galant - thank you, I did know, but don't enjoy her quite as much in that incarnation. Nicola Slade pointed out here that she also qrites as Elizabeth Aston - I didn't know that was her, and I shall try some of her Austen sequels.

    Jenny, on the contrary, I love it! But I feel embarrassed when a month is mostly re-reading, because I feel that I am being lazy and not facing up to the challenge of new books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like re-reading, but don't do enough of it. One book I've been meaning to re-read is Eagle of the Ninth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... gentle nudge as you try to push along your re=reading and reviewing....it is Rosemary Sutcliff without an 'E'. You are however in good if mistaken mispelling company including The Times newspaper and even at one point her publisher OUP. See at http://www.rosemarysutcliff.wordpress.com !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mea maxima culpa, Anthony, I usually get it right, but I was rushing last night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the kind words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pleasure, Nymeth - it was a lovely book, wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oliver Rackham's History of the English Countryside is one of our favourites. Have you come across England in Particular: A Celebration of the Commonplace, the Local, the Vernacular and the Distinctive by Sue Clifford? Another treasured companion for viewing the scenery. Great for dipping into if you're busy too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts