Lis Howell, The Gardener in the Graveyard

 Isn't it great when you find a new author? Well, thanks to NetGalley and Joffe Books I've just added Lis Howell to my list, and I have happily added several books to my TBR pile. 

When a group of volunteer gardeners discover a body in a wheelie bin they have no idea how it will affect not just their lives but those of their families and friends. At first the police write off the murder as a gang-land killing, but the gardening team isn't convinced, and neither is Suzy Spencer, a podcaster intent on gaining a wider audience. Then Lorna, the self-appointed leader of the gardeners, disappears and her friend Pat is determined to find her, helped by fellow volunteer Tim. 

All the characters have backgrounds, which I liked. Suzy has already appeared in several of Lis Howell's books, but I didn't know that, and at first, I didn't much like her, although her partner is more sympathetic. But what I did like - and what I began to like Suzy for - is the thoughtfulness about some of the topics that the story touches on. Pat has lost her husband comparatively recently, Tim is scarred by his experiences as a paramedic... end-of-life issues feature, abuse of power too, and sexual identity. At the other end of the spectrum but perhaps equally controversially, the question of rewilding appears, with a TV gardener who advocates the return of once-indigenous species (this part of the story is set in an area of southern Scotland where this debate is current). 

I found myself thinking about the issues raised over the washing up, which is always a good thing - books should challenge us, even (especially?) when they are light and cosy. Another nice touch is the contact across generations - Pat, Lorna and Tim may all be retirees, but Becky is a student. Despite the age-gap, common ground is found and at the end, Becky and her friends are all involved in a cross-border chase. 

I'd like to thank Joffe Books not only for a review copy, but for introducing me to quite a few new authors recently, as well as issuing some existing favourites. As far as am concerned, they are A Good Thing.



Comments

Popular Posts