I'm not going to make any jokes about penguins, but I do enjoy the sight of all this orange; my favourites are the old-fashioned ones. Last week I was re-reading Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love, and the descriptions of "new" (in 1949) books in the back sent me off on a trawl through Abebooks to see what I could find. The results? Two books by Angela Thirkell, The Brandons and August Folly, one by Anne Bridge, Illyrian Spring, two more Mitford re-reads, Love in a Cold Climate and Don't Tell Alfred (either of which may yet turn up in the book depository that is our upstairs room) and an extra, E.Nesbit's The House of Arden, which Harriet Devine was writing about recently. (Oh dear, I just nipped over to check the URL to link from here, and I see she's mentioned another Nesbit, one I'm pretty sure I haven't read!) None of which are the books I meant to buy in early 2008, namely those Barbara Pym I haven't got and some more of Michael Gilbert's delightful crime novels.
January's books are listed here. There is a lot of catching up on reviews to do, with those for challenges being the most urgent - they are flagged here. My itinerant lifestyle ought to be conducive to writing reviews, except that I would then have to carry even more books about with me than I already do.
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (review pending)
- Journey into Spring by Winston Clewes
- To Let by John Galsworthy (review pending)
- The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford
- Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai
- Hamlet, Revenge! by Michael Innes
- The Man Who Knew Too Much by G.K. Chesterton
- Blade of the Immortal by Hiroaki Samura (review pending)
- The Children of Shallowford by Henry Williamson - re-read
- The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill
- The Last Guardian of Everness by John C. Wright
- The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (review pending)
- The Traitor's Sword by Amanda Hemingway
- Dream Angus by Alexander McCall Smith
- Dark Companion by Andre Norton (review pending)
- Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons by Diana Henry
Outmoded Authors Challenge (ends 29 February 2008): 7 of 9 completed
Young Adult Challenge (runs 1 January-31 December 2008): 1 completed (review pending)
From the Stacks Reading Challenge: 4 out of 5 completed (3 reviews pending)
I'm also participating in the Short Story Reading Challenge, extending my six months' of story reading to a year.
Last year's books are here.
Links are mainly to reviews on this site; the occasional book on country topics (including novels and cookery books) is reviewed on Cat Musings.